Generally they are cheap, colourful and so damn comfy. When you get a good pair, they hug like a kind pair of Spanx.
But nothing is perfect, not even leggings or a really great pair of tights. It varies between pairs, brands, and how much you pretend that fashion leggings or tights are also workout wear, but eventually they will all succumb to one of six fates:
2. The Penguin: Like the Diaper Bum, this one could also be the result of too much in too little but it could also be that your tights are pieces of crap with no waist elastic. The leggings shimmy down, little by little, until your stride is impaired and you desperately need to find a bathroom, closet or dark corner to really get to the heart of the matter and hoist those puppies up. After a pair does the Penguin once, it will do it again. And again. Keep these if you’re just going to be sitting the whole time.
3. The Hidden Shame: Tights are far more prone to this than thicker leggings, and pantyhose are by far the most susceptible to the Hidden Shame but truly, it can happen to all three. The Hidden Shame is a run that doesn't show itself before you put the leggings on and then is proudly on display as the fabric stretches over your leg…usually along the back of your thigh so you get to walk around all day like that before noticing.
4. The Man Fit: Reverse the Diaper Bum and you get the idea. You will pull, yank and adjust to smooth out the wrinkly Man Fit but to no avail: the leggings or tights have bit it.
5. The Ghetto: This one is so unfortunate. The leggings aren’t to blame at all. A small hole makes the leggings completely unwearable unless you are five, then it’s just cute. But if you’re a grown up you have to let these ones go and swear curses at the desk corner/rogue nail/ sharp random piece of metal that murdered your still kicking leggings.
6. The Breeze: I once bought a pair of tights and had the Breeze by the end of the first wear. The Breeze will happen very quickly in very snug or very delicate tights such as lace or fishnet styles. The Breeze is the worst because it spreads and soon you've got such a gap that it seems like you kinda meant to look so inappropriate.